Guardians of Being
Title: Guardians of Being, spiritual teachings from our dogs and cats
Author: Eckhart Tolle
Illustrator: Patrick McDonnell
Publisher: New World Library
Synopsis: This compelling and heart-warming book came to be when Patrick McDonnell, the creator of the “MUTTS” comics, contacted Eckhart Tolle for a collaboration based on shared interests. Tolle’s spiritual word were combined with McDonnell’s charming and captivating illustrations. Guardians of Being is a wonderful reminder of how just “being” and enjoying the beauty of “now” can bring each of us happiness and inner peace.
Review: It was a joy to read this book! It is a masterpiece, each page drew me in by Tolle’s deep words and McDonnell’s clear, charming and humorous cartoons. Both men express their endless love for animals, nature and the energy of life around us. A picture might be worth a thousand words; this collaboration lifts these priceless reminders to be-in-the-now up to the next level and reading the book gave me several belly laughs as a very welcome bonus!
Some of Eckhart Tolle’s other writings might be a bit hard to digest and get passed by despite people seeking the profound wisdoms disclosed within. Rest assured: Guardians of Being is easy to read and definitely funny! In word and image it is conveyed to us that the whole of nature has a Divine Plan and pets too teach us deep and valuable lessons, if only we human beings just look right!
I love Mutts, the adventures of Earl and Mooch (and all their lovely friends) always make my day brighter as well as make me think. A perfect combination! Combining in Tolle’s words is a true inspiration!
A book to treasure and read over-and-over, and I might be old-fashioned but preferably in book-form!
Summary: This extraordinary book absolutely captures the essence of Tolle’s work, bringing it back to easy-to-digest insights. McDonnell’s images complement Tolle’s deep concepts using clear, uplifting and humorous examples of every day animals, for whom ‘Being in the Moment’ is purely instinctual and totally effortless.
Book Rating: 10/10
- “I have lived with many Zen masters, all of them cats.”
- “When you pet a dog or listen to a cat purring, thinking may subside for a moment and a space of stillness arises within you, a doorway into Being.”
- “Just watching an animal closely can take you out of your mind and bring you into the present moment, which is where the animal lives all the time.”
- “It’s so wonderful to watch an animal, because an animal has no opinion about itself; IT is.”
- “We have forgotten what rocks, plants, and animals still know. We have forgotten how to BE – to be still, to be ourselves, to be where life is: Here and NOW.”
- There also is a Guardians of Being calendar, a true and useful reminder of these invaluable lessons!
When you love Mutts and Guardians of Being, you will love The Gift of Nothing also! (Be sure to like them on social media too! Thank you very kindly!)