Top 10 Ways to Add Turmeric
Turmeric has great beneficial properties, though it is always good to look into benefits as well as side effects, especially for people using medication! Turmeric has been used through the ages in Chinese, Indian and Japanese medicine, mostly for its anti-inflammatory properties. NB: It is essential to add (black) pepper and oil for better absorption of the active curcumin.
Here are 10 ways to add it to our regular diet:
- With omelettes, frittatas, pancakes or scrambled eggs.
- Add it in tea with some honey or try the ancient recipe for Golden Milk
- Add it to smoothies (along with avocado as fat or dissolve it in coconut oil).
- Sprinkle some on your toast with avocado.
- Some people just take a spoon with turmeric and pepper dissolved in oil.
- To easily ingest one can also make small balls with honey, pepper, Ceylon cinnamon and coconut oil.
- Add it to stir fry dishes, vegetable pies or soups.
- Add it to dry rice, lentils or risotto (saffron is definitely more expensive).
- Make a nice curry, based on a true garam masala.
- Use it on chickpeas or kale chips before you dry them in the oven.
The recipes link to my favourite resource: Grokker, which combines the health benefits of good food with fitness, yoga, meditation and more. Make sure you don’t miss any wonderful beneficial recipes or exercises by signing up via our link in the top right corner!
As with all spices, make sure you buy organic, for supermarkets are very good at selling low grade spices which have been processed and/or full of pesticides, thus influencing the benefits. Be careful with this ingredient, wear an apron, for the colour stains and the stain is rather difficult to wash out!
- We can also use it to brush an whiten our teeth!
- Turmeric is also used in body and hair care.